Jonathan D. Kramer
Partner – Atlanta
Jonathan understands the nuances of handling claims involving sophisticated insureds and insurers. Early in his career, Jonathan spent nine months in London on secondment with two leading Lloyd’s syndicates. During that time, he gained a unique understanding of the insurance market and the vital role the relationships between brokers, insureds, insurers, and insurers’ counsel play in the claims resolution process. During his 14 years with Fields Howell, Jonathan has acted as insurers’ coverage and monitoring counsel for hundreds of complex claims, and he has successfully defended insurers in breach of contract and bad faith actions in state and federal courts.
Jonathan also devotes his time to advising insureds and insurers regarding how to avoid claims and mitigate claims. He regularly advises insureds, general counsels of law firms, and insurers regarding risk management, loss mitigation, and claims processes.
Jonathan also has a robust reinsurance practice. He frequently represents Lloyd’s reinsurers in auditing domestic insurers’ claims and underwriting practices. Jonathan represents reinsurers in commutation disputes and handling substantial third-party claims that impact reinsurance treaties. Before joining Fields Howell, Jonathan clerked for the Honorable Peter T. Fay, a Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Indiana University, J.D., 2000
- Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, Managing Editor
- Sherman Minton Moot Court Board
- Bucknell University, B.A., 1997
- University of Nottingham, England 1996
- Economics & Business Studies
Presentations and Publications
“The Ethics of Oops,” presented by Jonathan Kramer and Caroline Yingling in Charlotte, (North Carolina, 2017)
“Diversity Jurisdiction Presentation,” presented by Jonathan D. Kramer in London, England, (March 2015)
“Fundamentals of Legal Malpractice,” presented by Jonathan D. Kramer in Charlotte, North Carolina, (January 2015)
American Bar Association
Atlanta Bar Association
Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
Professional Liability Underwriting Society
Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Stars List 2014 – 2015
- Winning summary judgment on behalf of Lloyd’s insurers in $25 million breach of contract claim brought by one of the 10 largest home builders in the U.S.
- Successfully defending Lloyd’s insurers in $46M bad faith lawsuit in Texas federal court.
- Winning summary judgment on behalf of Lloyd’s insurers in $2.5 million commercial property lawsuit in federal court.
- Successfully defending prominent Florida law firm in malpractice lawsuit alleging professional negligence in firm’s handling of an employment discrimination claim.